- International Practice
- Securities Regulation
- Climate Change
- Financial Institutions
- Labor and Employment
- Strategic Communications
- Corporate and Securities
- Financial Restructuring
- Educational Institutions
- Private Funds
- Intellectual Property
- Public Finance
- White Collar Defense
- Environmental Strategies
- Internal Investigations
- Real Estate and Projects
25 Old Broad Street
Bracewell's London office is solely dedicated to the energy sector, focusing on mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, finance and project development transactions in the oil, gas and power industries.
At the hub of our European and emerging markets practice, our London-based lawyers represent many of the world’s leading energy companies on global projects and have assisted multinational companies, banks and governments on projects in every continent.
The team’s oil and gas experience includes advising on all segments of the industry, from upstream exploration and production, to midstream pipelines, transportation and storage, including LNG, and downstream refining and marketing. Our lawyers have also advised on complex and large-scale petrochemicals projects.
Our experience in the power industry includes acting on some of the world’s largest and most innovative conventional power projects (both M&A and project development and financing) and also comprises deep knowledge of the renewables sector, including solar, wind, hydro, and thermal.
Recently, our London office has acted for:
- Ophir Energy on its floating LNG project offshore Equatorial Guinea (ongoing).
- Apache Corporation on the disposal of its entire business in Argentina to YPF S.A. for US$800 million and on the sale of its interests in the Scott and Telford oil fields in the UK North Sea to Edison.
- Société Générale, BNP Paribas and Banca IMI on an up to US$100 million borrowing base facility to Irminio Srl secured against Italian upstream assets.
- BG Group on its new country entry and farm-in with Shell into upstream oil and gas assets in Colombia, its acquisition of a 78% interest and new country entry farm‐in into blocks IV and V in central Mongolia from Petro Matad and a farm-out transaction in relation to certain assets in Brazil.
- Petrogas on a US$150 million borrowing base facility secured against upstream assets in the Netherlands.
- Seplat Petroleum on its US$1.7 billion term and revolving facilities comprising a reserve-based financing with Nigerian banks and a corporate facility with international banks, each secured against Nigerian oil and gas assets.
- Caracal Energy on a US$250 million reserve-based secured facility for the development of its Chad assets (the first reserve-based lending in Chad) (awarded Middle East and Africa Deal of the Year 2014 by Trade Finance Magazine).
- ING Bank N.V. and a syndicate of five lenders on a US$340 million borrowing base facility for Oranje-Nassau Energie, based on oil and gas assets in the UK, Netherlands and Gabon.
- Genel Energy on various matters in Kurdistan, including the acquisition of OMV’s interest in the Bina-Bawi Block, farm-down of an interest in the Chia-Surkh Block to Petoil, the commercialisation of the Miran and Bina-Bawi gas discoveries, crude transportation and marketing arrangements, and the supply of gas to the Dohuk power plant.
- Vestas in relation to a €600 million, 310 MW, onshore wind farm at Lake Turkana, Kenya (awarded African Renewable Deal of the Year 2014 by Project Finance International and African Renewables Deal of the Year 2014 by IJGlobal Europe and Africa Awards).
- Impact Oil & Gas on the expansion of its African portfolio, including acquisition of upstream blocks in Gabon, Namibia, the Senegal-Guinea Bissau AGC and Guinea Bissau.
- Maurel & Prom on an up to US$650 million revolving credit facility arranged by BNP Paribas, Crédit Agricole Corporate and Investment Bank, Natixis and Standard Chartered Bank and on its gas commercialisation project in Tanzania and its gas sale arrangements with the Tanzanian national oil company.
- HSBC on a US$100 million secured revolving credit facility for KrisEnergy, an independent upstream E&P company with a focus on Southeast Asia.
- Sonatrach in relation to the Isle of Grain LNG terminal.
Bracewell’s London office recognition
We are delighted that our efforts have been recognised by a number of leading publications, including LEGALEASE LTD, Euromoney Institutional Investor PLC, and INCISIVE MEDIA SERVICES LIMITED.
Bracewell (UK) LLP is a limited liability partnership registered in New York, USA.
Bracewell (UK) LLP is a ‘recognised body’ as defined in the Solicitors Code of Conduct 2011, authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority in the United Kingdom. The members of Bracewell (UK) LLP are solicitors or registered foreign lawyers authorized to practice in England & Wales and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority in the United Kingdom. Its SRA number is 555941.
Julian T. Nichol
Bracewell (UK) LLP