- International Practice
- Securities Regulation
- Climate Change
- Financial Institutions
- Labor and Employment
- Strategic Communications
- Corporate and Securities
- Financial Restructuring
- Educational Institutions
- Private Funds
- Intellectual Property
- Public Finance
- White Collar Defense
- Environmental Strategies
- Internal Investigations
- Real Estate and Projects
Our lawyers have acted on transactions and disputes throughout Latin America.
We understand the political and cultural dynamics within Latin America. We have Latin American lawyers and many of our team are fluent in Spanish and Portuguese. We have the experience necessary to assist our clients with matters throughout the region.
Cross-border matters in Latin America are often governed by New York, Texas or English law and we support our clients in matters governed by each of those laws from our offices throughout the United States and in London.
We have lawyers in our team who are qualified to practice under the laws of Brazil and Mexico.
Our clients active in Latin America come from a wide range of industries, including energy and natural resources (oil and gas, mining and power), technology and telecommunications, engineering, construction, manufacturing, and finance (including banking and private equity investment). We regularly assist our clients on complex M&A, corporate and finance transactions, project development, joint ventures, general business, and commercial matters and disputes in Latin America.
We have developed and maintain relationships with regulators and governmental agencies in Latin America. We monitor rule-making activity in the region, and commonly represent our clients in the review of proposed rules and in the presentation of comments either through position papers, response to public consultations or direct contact with regulators and other policy-makers. We have represented clients before the international standard-setting bodies and we have advised clients on numerous cross-border matters.
A selection of our recent experience in Latin America includes acting for:
- Apache Corporation on its disposal of its entire business in Argentina to YPF S.A. for US$800 million
- BG Group on its agreement for its new country entry and farm-in to upstream oil & gas assets in Colombia
- Duke Energy International on the US$415 million acquisition of CGED Group's Iberoamericana de Energía Ibener S.A. subsidiary in Chile, including two hydroelectric generating assets with a combined 140 megawatts of installed capacity
- EIG Global Energy Partners in connection with mezzanine financing of thermal power plant acquisitions in Brazil
- Espirito Santo Bank in connection with Hermes-insured structured trade finance transaction involving sale of aircraft to oilfield service provider in Colombia
- Key Energy Services in connection with the formation of a consortium to participate in a bid with Pemex for an oil field in Chicontepec, Mexico
- Key Energy Services on its disposal of its entire business in Argentina
- Kinder Morgan Inc in connection with the US$7.15 billion sale of El Paso’s exploration and production business unit which included assets in Mexico and Brazil
- Wells Fargo Energy Capital with the assignment from BNP Paribas of five oil and gas reserve based loans secured by companies in Colombia, Barbados, Bermuda, Canada, Cayman Island, Panama, the U.K., Spain and Peru